Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mr. Pomposity

Phrenology of the Month Club
Looking for the region of pomposity...
(Image from Wikipedia)

Jodi of The Asia Pages recently took a short trip alone to Japan, leaving her regular readers a message that she'd be gone for a few days.

In Jodi's absence appeared a troll, an "infamous stalker in the marches, ... [a] wretched creature" (Slade's Beowulf, ll 103-105). It calls itself 'Mel', claims to be half-Japanese, has its own, rather sordid blog, and came to wreak destruction in its hatred of Jodi:
3. Mel - October 30, 2006

So, you're not going to take that handsome offiser with you? LOL! It's not like anyone else is interested in him. Aren't you of Japanese desent? And you pick a Chinese boyfriend? Is it that you feel more comfortable around asian guys or white guys don't find you attractive. I think it is soooo strange that you are dating an asian guy just because he is asian.
Jodi can easily take care of herself, but I couldn't resist a riff:

5. Horace Jeffery Hodges - October 31, 2006

…offiser? …desent? …asian?

Mel falls pell-mell into spell-Mel hell. Get spell-check, Mel.

And leave Jodi alone. I took a look at your blog, and you're not even in her class.

Another Jodi reader commented:

6. MigukNamja - October 31, 2006

Mel,

Can you be any more pathetic?

Having looked at the blog of this 'Mel', I could confirm that, yes, 'Mel' could be:

7. Horace Jeffery Hodges - October 31, 2006

Yes, MigukNamja, the pathetic Mel can be plenty more pathetic.

Whether 'she' is even real or not, Mel's blog shows either a sordid life or a sordid mind -- pathetic whether genuine or imaginary.

… and the writing is pretentious, clichéd, and juvenile.

'Mel' took offense:

8. mel - October 31, 2006

Find a cliche in my writing Mr. Pomposity.

I just thought that an Asian dating an Asian because he is an Asian is reacist and slightly sick. Plus, oh my God, did you see that dress and the makeup? It MUST have looked better in person. LOL. Yes, her life is way more fun than mine. Plus my parents have money and I do what I want, so you regular people can just stuff it. LOL.
Finding a cliché wouldn't be a major task since I'd hardly need go beyond the comments that 'Mel' had left on Jodi's blog, but since I'd been referring to the blog scribblings that 'Mel' does, I went and retrieved one:
12. Horace Jeffery Hodges - November 1, 2006

A cliché? Easy 'Mel':

Friday, October 06, 2006, Strip Poker:

"…Everntually, I was buck naked and she basically jumped on me…"

Two clichés in one short but wordy sentence. The only creative moment is your spelling of "eventually" as "everntually." Nice touch, that, so maybe you have some talent.
For those who like good, informative writing, go to Jodi's Asia Pages. As for the sort of typewriting that 'Mel' does, "Well, for those who like that sort of thing, I should think it is just about the sort of thing they would like" (Abraham Lincoln, quoted in E. W. Fornell, The Unhappy Medium).

6 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

I've seen quite a few blogs in that style, different content, but use of language the same. They seem very young or Asian.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've not seen so many myself, and I usually ignore the ones that I do see, but this 'Mel' attacked Jodi unprovoked.

I'll probably regret mixing myself in this mess.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I'm appalled at the lack of manners. Doesn't this person realize that you've earned the right to be addressed as Doctor Pomposity?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Damn, Jeff, I wish that I'd thought of that. What a great retort!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger A.H. said...

Not the wisest troll, then, though that is probably a contradiction in terms, leaving its blog name. It's a bit like a demon leaving the formula for its own exorcism. And daring you to find a cliche!? Certainly, she's "buck naked"...as opposed to "book naked"...don't think she's been exposed to much literature. Bravo, for speaking up.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Eshuneutics, for the (probably undeserved) praise.

I have come to strongly suspect that the blog itself is fake and is serving as a sockpuppet for a blogger who's used various sockpuppets over the past few years.

If caught out in deception, 'Mel' would likely claim 'her' writing was nowhere nearly so bad as I charged because 'she' was assuming the voice of a particular sort of character.

But that argument leaks all over because 'Mel' is not a satire of some well-known individual, nor is the satirical purpose at all clear.

I suppose that it might possibly be intended as an anti-Japanese caricature for the entertainment of English-literate Koreans, but there's not much of an audience there ... and why a young, half-Japanese, American woman?

It just seems bizarre to me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home