Monday, October 30, 2006

Some nice folks...

(Image from Wikipedia)

Now that the border-crossing conference if past, and last week's midterm work grading thesis statements is finished, I return to my classes to face the students and make them face my many-faceted, red-penned critique of their projected essays.

I'm a little bit tired. Truth to tell, I'm exhausted. On the subway yesterday morning with my son, I fell asleep and only woke up shortly before Itaewon Station, which left me just a few minutes to revive before reaching Noksapyeong Station, where we had to get off. At least, the brisk morning air on our walk had me feeling alert enough by the time that I reached our church for me to help my group discuss the meaning of "telos" in Romans 10:3:
telos gar nomou cristos

For Christ is the end of the law.
"What does that mean?" we asked, and got into a discussion about "telos" as "end," "termination," "aim," "goal," "consummation," "fulfillment," or all of these ... somehow.

But on this early Monday morning, I'm not here to discuss our recondite hermeneutical meanderings. Rather, I just want to introduce you to a few nice women to get your week started off right. I don't really know these ladies, whom I've only accidentally 'met' in my websurfing for information on homeschooling, but I sometimes visit their blogs for downhome downtime...
Deeapaulitan

Faith Raider

Sara

Whittaker Woman

Just Laugh
If you like reading the blogs of women like these, then follow the links that you find there.

6 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Well, at least someone seems to be as tired as I am, heh heh. Only I'm on the receiving end of the red-penned critiques. I was talking with my dad the other day after I got a paper back from a professor that was riddled with corrections, it was a 10 page draft and there were probably 5 or 6 sentences that didnt have some kind of correction, recommendation, question, remark that pushes me to go farther with a point, etc. there was one lonely compliment, on the margins of the 5th or 6th page: "good". That was it, no explanation as to why whatever it was was good, it was almost as if she wrote it so I wouldnt get frustrated. Anyway, we were talking about how much better it was for me to get a paper like that back from a professor rather than having an A slapped on it and and "excellent", or what have you. Alright Jeffery, guten tag, DR

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, Herr Richter, I'd say that you have a "good" or even "excellent" professor if she went to the touble to do all that correcting. Or was she "suggesting"?

Thanks for visiting again...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I don't think she was suggesting. She's pretty demanding. I'm getting a lot more out of her class than the others, even though its pretty frustrating getting a paper back that looks as if it's been bludgeoned to death.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Bludgeoning is so barbarously brutal.

I think of my own cuttingly killing remarks on students' essays as slaying through a thousand slices.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Yes, I really do need to cool it with the alliteration, don't I? It's easy to let it get out of hand.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Rather than desisting, let's spark a modern-day alliterative revival!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home